Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Jimmy van M !

I've finally recovered enough over yet another massive weekend of clubbing at a Sunny party.

This time, it was none other than the American Progressive House extraordinaire - Jimmy van M!

His rise to fame came from his endless work behind the scenes in the American dance music scene. He was the official warm up DJ for Sasha and Digweed when they toured America and a resident at Twilo from 1996 - 2000.

I've always wanted to catch Jimmy play ever since I first got exposed to his music when he did the second Bedrock album on Digweed's label. Its a long 6 year wait before I did!


My friends from New Zealand; Sarah and Dave who were at my house earlier this evening for a BBQ before we headed out clubbing.



Jimmy van M taking over the decks from my friend Dean Millson who had the warm up set honours.



Van M hard at work



This slogan says it all


Sarah and Me tearing down some serious booty on the dance floor.

On hindsight, I only realised after the first hour of dancing that wearing my long sleeve dress shirt while fashionably spot on in most other social scenarios, clubbing wear it was not.
I was the proverbial frog getting heated up in a slowly boiling pot by the 2nd hour of the night and was sweating buckets under my sleeves by 3am in the morning.
(mental note to self for future reference: do not wear dressy clothes if intention is to dance non-stop for 7hrs)


Random girl in a pretty dress


Erin and Irene, the latter whom which I haven't seen for ages!



Overall, the best part of my night was actually the final set from 3.30am - 5.30am. It was a versus set between Sydney's Kaybee and Melbourne's Ozzie LA.

Words can hardly describe what I witnessed aurally that morning, I can only say that it simply was one of the best tribal house and progressive sets I've heard two great DJ's play back to back this year. By then the club was a seedy sort of environment with barely 20 people on the dance floor, the lights were all dimmed, the speakers were booming and the first slivers of dawn were starting to creep in through the windows of the venue.

That dark and sweaty afterhours moment to me was the ultimate nirvana of clubbing.

No comments: